Board of Directors
ABOUT BIG CLASS
Big Class's mission is to cultivate and support the voices of New Orleans' writers ages 6-18 through creative collaborations with schools and communities.
Big Class offers a variety of free, innovative programs that provide under-resourced students with opportunities to explore their creativity and improve their writing skills. We also aim to help teachers get their classes excited about writing. Our services are structured with the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success.
Founded in 2010 as a grassroots organization, Big Class has grown to serve over 900 students in 2014-2015, established two programming spaces, and is working to open a Youth Writing Center in Central City. A new 501c3 as of January 2015 and participating in Chapter Development with 826 National, Big Class is a growing organization aiming to serve 3500 students annually by the 2017-2018 school year.
Assure the success of Big Class in fulfilling its mission and vision by providing strategic oversight, planning, advocacy, leadership, and support.
- Exhibiting knowledge and support of Big Class’s mission, vision, position statements, policies, goals, and programs.
- Demonstrating the ability and willingness to access resources on behalf of Big Class including:
- Making financial gift commensurate with capacity.
- Securing philanthropic support from others.
- Identifying and accessing key relationships for Big Class.
- Offering talents and expertise to benefit Big Class.
- Providing leadership and strategic planning for Big Class.
- Participating in orientation and ongoing education.
- Hiring, setting expectations for, and evaluating the performance of the Executive Director.
- Stewarding Big Class’s assets and resources and annually approving an operating budget.
- Participating actively in fundraising on behalf of Big Class.
- Advocating for Big Class at events and within personal networks.
BOARD MEMBERS COMMIT TO:
- Attending and participating in 6 Board meetings per year.
- Serving and playing an active role on one of two committees (Internal Affairs and External Affairs), meeting 4-6 times per year.
- Responding in a timely manner to all Big Class related communications.
- Meeting with staff as appropriate.
- Participating in presentations and discussions with potential funders and external funders as appropriate.
- Completing an Individual Commitment Plan that outlines planned contributions (monetary and otherwise) to Big Class of at least $1000 total.
Big Class is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workforce. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Big Class does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, political orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or gender identity or expression.
If you are interested in learning more about Big Class and the Board Recruitment process, please contact: Doug Keller, Executive Director, email@example.com, 504.308.1423