Guidelines & Submissions
Please read carefully, as we are unable to publish poems that do not adhere to the following guidelines:
Big Class accepts submissions of poetry written by youth ages 6-18 in New Orleans. Poems may be submitted by the poet themself, or a teacher may submit an entire class's poems.
In order to be considered for publication, the poem must:
- Be between 5 and 20 lines in length
- Have a title
- Poems by youth ages 10-18 should be at least 10 lines
Last year, Big Class received over 600 submissions. Because Pizza Poems are shared throughout New Orleans, Big Class aims to publish poems of the highest quality. Although we want to share as many poems as we can, we do not guarantee that every poem will be published.
To submit a poem:
Submissions must be received by Friday, April 7 in order to be considered.
Format for email submissions:
- In the subject line of the email, please write School Name: Zip Code. For example, "ARISE Academy: 70117"
- Submissions can be included as an attached MS Word document, or pasted into the body of the email. Submissions attached as PDFs will not be considered.
- Submissions must include a title, and the student's name, grade level, school
We also accept handwritten submissions at our office in the Bywater (532 Louisa). Email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a drop-off/pick-up.